The governing board of the Eastern Analytical Symposium and Exposition (EAS) is looking to add one or two student representatives, starting immediately, for a 2-year tenure. You will thrive in this role if you are passionate about research in analytical sciences, are looking for a leadership opportunity in your field of study, enjoy building relationships and want to help your fellow students. The Student Representative is a volunteer.
As a student representative to the governing board you will:
- Participate in the organization of the annual symposium and exposition and take an active role on committees;
- Propose and lead initiatives to promote and bring new attendees to EAS, in particular within the student community;
- Coordinate the organization’s Social Media presence;
- Get familiar with the structure, procedures and operations of a large non-profit scientific organization;
- Network and interact with industry, government and academic analytical scientists and leaders at board meetings and during the symposium.
- Currently enrolled in a science degree with a heavy analytical emphasis. Graduate students preferred but undergraduates considering a career in analytical sciences may apply. All analytical techniques, spectroscopy, separations, immunochemistry, microscopy, etc., and applied analytical fields, biomedical, forensics, pharmaceutical, food science, environmental, art conservation etc., will be considered;
- Currently enrolled at a university within easy driving distance of central NJ (expenses paid).
- Ability to attend up to 4 board meetings per year in the Princeton, NJ area (generally on a Friday morning) and the 4-day symposium in November 2018 and 2019.
- Familiarity and experience with Social Media platforms is a plus
Who we are:
Eastern Analytical Symposium and Exposition (EAS) is a volunteer organization that sponsors a scientific conference and exposition dedicated to analytical sciences. Dates for the 57th EAS are November 12 to 14, 2018 and the theme is “Analytical Solutions to the World’s Problems. The annual symposium is attended by more than 1500 scientists from industry, academia and government and offers technical sessions, award sessions, short courses and workshops. The associated exposition presents information and products from companies that supply analytical instrumentation and services.
Application deadline is Oct 15, 2018. Email CV and short letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The short letter should include what skills and abilities the student can offer to EAS in the area of social media and building interest in EAS with the younger analytical chemists. It should also include their interest in analytical chemistry field and their experiences (such as education, research, internships, etc.) and what their future aspirations are in the field.